I came across a recipe for “Baked Mustard Chicken” on http://www.elanaspantry.com (a go to site for me that has wonderful ideas), and it sounded so delicious! When I set out to make it tonight though, I decided to get creative and play with the recipe a bit and create something that I knew Doug and I would love. At least I was hoping so! 🙂 So, Elana’s original recipe was the inspiration for what I created below.
I am happy to say that we both really loved it! This will be another keeper in our house. It is definitely spicy between the fresh cilantro and chili powder, but the avocado and tomato give the right amount of smoothness to this dish to make the spicy just right. It is super rich in flavor…truly loved it!
MUSTARD LIME CHICKEN WITH AVOCADOS AND TOMATOES
*Adapted and created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
Serving Size: 2 people
- 2 large chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh lime juice from one whole lime
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- About 3 slices of red onion diced
- About 1 cup of grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 avocado
- Cut up the cilantro, tomatoes, and onions and place them in separate bowls.
- Pour a little bit of olive oil in a large frying pan and saute the onions.
- While sauteing, combine the lime juice, mustard, cilantro, olive oil, chili, and pepper. Mix together well. (This makes your marinade.)
- Cut your chicken breasts into slices.
- Put the chicken in a gallon size ziplock bag and pour the marinade over it. Shake it up real well, so that all the chicken is covered. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- When onions are mostly done, add chicken with all the marinade into the frying pan.
- Cook on high, flipping the chicken over from time to time until completely cooked.
- Serve on plate with tomatoes and avocado on it.