I have been wanting to do something with shrimp for quite a while now, and I thought that doing it in combination with spaghetti squash and fresh spices and vegetables would be a good way to go.
SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH SHRIMP
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp
- 1 tbsp of olive oil (to cook with)
- 2 bulbs of fresh garlic pressed
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- 1/4 cup pieces of Parmesan cheese
- Black Pepper
(Note: Next time I would ass basil, we just didn’t have any fresh basil available)
- Place the entire spaghetti squash on microwavable safe plate and microwave it for 20 minutes or until soft on the outside. (You can cook it in the oven, which I have done, but it honestly works just as well this way and is much quicker.)
- While the squash is cooking, cut up your vegetables and spices and saute the red onions and garlic in a large frying pan with a little bit of olive oil.
- When the 20 minutes are up for your squash (or when it is soft), cut it in half. (Be very careful because it is very hot!)
- Scrape out the seeds. Once completed, scrape out the squash, which should be in spaghetti like strings. Put it in a large mixing bowl.
- While the squash is still warm, add the Parmesan cheese and mix around so it will begin to melt.
- Meanwhile, add the shrimp (already peeled) to the onions and garlic that you are sauteing. Add some black pepper.
- Once shrimp is cooked, add them and the garlic and onions to your squash and mix thoroughly. (Note: you will want to watch the timing on this, so that your squash doesn’t get cold while you are waiting on the shrimp.)
- Serve in dishes and add fresh diced tomatoes on top.