From as little as I can remember, every Valentine’s Day my dad would get both my mom and I a heart shaped box of chocolates. I looked forward to it every year! Once I opened mine I had one mission: take a bite out of every single piece until I found the one I was looking for….the one filled with orange cream. 🙂
To me, there is no greater combination than orange and chocolate!
As I have been thinking about this, I just knew that I had to experiment and try to come up with a muffin with this very combination. So, that is exactly what I did yesterday, and I am so happy with how they turned out!
ORANGE DARK CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS WITH CHOCOLATE ORANGE SAUCE
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
(I ended up with extra sauce, so you probably won’t need it all. I saved mine to pour over some fruit!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Mix the flours, baking soda, salt, and zest in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs, orange juice, coconut milk, and honey in another bowl. When mixed well, then combine them with your dry ingredients.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix thoroughly so they are spread throughout.
- After greasing the muffin tin, pour the batter in.
- Meanwhile, make your sauce by first melting the coconut oil.
- Combine the melted coconut oil with the orange juice, honey, and cocoa. Mix well.
- Pour some of the sauce over each muffin.
- I normally cook my muffins for 20 minutes, but this one I ended up cooking for 24. I think this was due to the extra liquid in it.
- When finished cooking, let cool, and then eat! 🙂