I had a creation up my sleeve yesterday that I really needed something like Nutella for. I had actually never heard of such a yummy thing until about a year or two ago, and I fell in love with it instantly!
Though my research on Nutella told me that it falls into the low-glycemic category, when you look on the container, the first ingredient is sugar. It has some things in it that I was pretty positive could be substituted with lower glycemic and healthier options. That is when I came across a recipe at Chocolate Covered Katie. I adapted it a bit as I went along…taste tests always help to figure out if you need to add anything more. Besides splitting the recipe in half due to the fact I didn’t need that much, I added a bit more vanilla, left out the salt, used honey instead of her other sweetener suggestions, and added more sweetener (honey) than she had on her recipe. I have my adapted recipe below, but you might want to play around with it yourself. You may not need it as sweet, or you may want it sweeter. We loved the way it turned out!
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPREAD
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 5 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- After roasting, you need to take the skins off of all the hazelnuts. A lot of them will come off really easily, but I did have some that were extremely stubborn. So, be prepared that due to stubborn ones, this could take a little longer than you hoped. 🙂
- Once you have the skins off, put them into a food processor. Be patient with this. It will take a lot of processing until you get to the butter-like consistency that you want to be looking for. At first you are probably going to be thinking, “There is no way this is going to turn to butter!” But, trust me, it will! 🙂
- Once you have reached a butter like consistency, add in your other ingredients and continue to process until smooth and mixed thoroughly.
- Now you are ready to eat some, or use it to cook with!