Remember my last post when I said that I had something up my sleeve that I needed homemade hazelnut spread for? Well, this is what was up my sleeve! I wanted to make us something yummy for Valentines and the rich, yet smooth flavor of chocolate and hazelnut was my inspiration. I didn’t have any heart shaped tins, so I made mini-muffins instead.
I actually tried two versions of these: one with the chocolate chips, and one without. We liked them both, but here is what you need to know: you taste the chocolate hazelnut even more when you don’t add the chocolate chips in, so how you would make them depends on what you are going for.
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT DARK CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS WITH CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SAUCE
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
Serving Size: 12 muffins or 24 mini muffins
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 4 tbsp homemade chocolate hazelnut spread (plus extra because this will be the sauce you pour over your muffins.)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the coconut milk, 4 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread, honey, and eggs in another bowl. When thoroughly mixed, add this to your larger mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
- If you are going to add chocolate chips, add them now and distribute evenly around.
- Grease a muffin pan and pour in the batter.
- Take your extra chocolate hazelnut spread and pour some over the top of each muffin.
- Let cook for 20 min.