For some reason when I went to bed last night, I was thinking about what I would make for breakfast in the morning, and this rich, fruity idea is what came to mind!
Though I had no idea if this combination was a good idea, my first bite told me it was! Breakfast? Sure, why not!? Dessert? Definitely! 🙂
Here is what it looked like when I cut into it…
BLACKBERRY STUFFED BAKED APPLE WITH CRUMBLE TOPPING
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
*Serving Size: 1-2 people
- 1 Apple (I used red)
- Blackberries (enough to stuff the apple with…this will depend on your apple. Plus, some to put around the bottom of the dish)
- 1 Orange
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp Almond Flour
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 pats of butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Wash and core the apple. Make sure not to break out the bottom of the apple or what you fill it with will leak out. You will want to take out more than just the core, so that there is enough of a hole that you can put plenty of goodies inside.
- Place the apple inside of a small baking dish (I used a Pyrex one).
- Wash the blackberries and start filling the apple with them until about half full.
- Slice the orange in half and squeeze out some juice from one half into the apple and over the blackberries.
- Make your crumble topping by adding together the flour, cinnamon, and butter.
- Put some of the crumbles on top of the blackberries.
- Now add more blackberries to the apple until it is full.
- Squeeze more juice from the orange over them, and then add more of your crumble mixture over the top.
- With any leftover room in your small baking dish, place blackberries around the bottom of it, using the other half of the orange to squeeze juice over them.
- Add the crumble topping to these as well.
- I added a little bit of water to the bottom of the dish since orange juice is sticky, and I didn’t want everything to get crusted to the bottom. (I don’t really know if I needed to do this.)
- Bake for 30 minutes. (The apple still had crispness to it at this point, so if you prefer softer then cook longer.)
- Serve hot, and enjoy!