I have always disliked lunch meat. Even though the other day I had some with tomatoes and avocado (two things I love), I still just didn’t care for it. To me, there is hardly any doctoring up you can possibly do to make a lunch meat sandwich (in this case, roll-up) really tasty. Well, I guess I was determined to prove myself wrong today. 🙂
Lunch meat can be such an easy thing for lunches…I grasp that reality. That’s why we have some in our own house. And I get that it is not always doable to make an extravagant meal for lunchtime. Thus, began my experimentation with lunch meat today. I thought, “Why not heat it up and add some fresh ingredients and spices?!”
Hubby and I both loved the way this tasted! I wasn’t sure how the sauce would work out…I just kept adding different things to it until I liked the taste. My goal was for it to have sort of a southwestern feel, to go with the turkey, cilantro, onions, and avocado. It was tangy and went delicious with the flavors in the roll-up!
(Note: If you wanted to use all fresh ingredients, I can imagine this recipe would work great with fresh chicken or turkey breast.)
Here is a picture of the goodies and the sauce before I rolled up the tortilla…
TURKEY, CILANTRO, & AVOCADO ROLL-UP WITH A LIME MAYONNAISE SAUCE
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
Serving Size: 2 people
- 4-5 slices of turkey lunch meat
- 1 Avocado
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 cup red onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 lime for fresh lime juice
- 1/2-1 tbsp agave
- Black pepper
- 2 flour tortillas
- Tear up the turkey meat into pieces.
- Chop the cilantro and scoop out the avocado into small pieces.
- Mince/press the garlic.
- Dice the red onion
- Put the tbsp olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Add red onions and garlic. Saute for several minutes.
- Add the meat, avocado, and cilantro.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, letting the tastes mingle together.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, melt the coconut oil.
- Combine melted coconut oil, red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, lime juice, agave, and black pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat your tortillas up.
- Spoon out the sauce onto each tortilla, then add the turkey mixture.
- Eat immediately.