I love blueberry muffins! I mean, I REALLY love blueberry muffins! 🙂 So I decided, “Why not make one of my most favorite things for Fiesta Friday over at The Novice Gardener?!” You should definitely check out her site, and all of the wonderful dishes people are making for this online party today! I love this fun idea that Angie came up with!
When I began eating low-glycemic, I thought for sure that I would never get to bite into such deliciousness again….I was so wrong! Coconut flour, and particularly almond flour, have become my friends…as you can see on my recipe page from all the different types of muffins I have been creating. 🙂
This was my first attempt at making blueberry muffins…I didn’t start out knowing what I was going to do with them, but I did some experimenting and came up with a combination that I am so happy with! I honestly love these low-glycemic blueberry muffins even better than high sugar ones!
At first I thought I would make some sort of crumble to go on top, like you often see, but then I decided to do something entirely different and make a deliciously rich sauce to go over the top.
Yes, I have already taken a bite….in fact, I have eaten 2 muffins already! 🙂 I tasted the almond, the warm blueberries….so rich and moist and so delicious! I love the sauce…definitely the finishing touch!
Here is the sauce I made to drizzle over the muffins: pureed blueberries, honey, and almond extract….delicious!
Ready to go in the oven…
ALMOND BLUEBERRY MUFFINS WITH A BLUEBERRY ALMOND SAUCE
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
Serving Size: 12 muffins
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp pure almond extract + 1 tsp (for sauce)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup honey + 1/3 cup honey (for sauce)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Measure out 1 cup of blueberries and puree them in a food processor.
- Put the pureed blueberries in a bowl and mix in 1 tsp almond extract, and 1/3 cup honey. Combine thoroughly. (Set aside: this will be your sauce for your muffins.)
- Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the eggs, honey, coconut milk, and almond extract.
- When both your dry and wet ingredients are mixed well, combine them together in the large bowl.
- Add in 1 cup of whole blueberries, being careful not to smash them.
- Grease a muffin tin and pour the batter into it.
- Using a spoon, generously drizzle the sauce over each muffin.
- Let cook for about 25 minutes. I usually only cook my muffins for 20, but these seemed to take a bit longer. You might want to start out with 20 and just keep checking them.
- When finished cooking, let them cool for about 10 minutes and then they are ready to eat!
24 thoughts on “Almond Blueberry Muffins with a Blueberry Almond Sauce”
MMMmmm, these look/sound amazing. Bookmarking these immediately!!
Awesome! They really are so good!
Looks awesome, Lori! I too love a good blueberry muffin, and am excited to try your version! 🙂
Thanks Lisa! I thought you might like these!
Pingback: Fiesta Friday #6 | The Novice Gardener
These look mouth-watering! Very yummy!
Thanks Julianna! And thanks for stopping by my blog! I need a snack….maybe I should go have one of these muffins. 🙂
Yummm I love anything almond!
You will love this then Alex! So glad you stopped by!
This. Looks. Amazing. I need to make these soon! What a great recipe, Lori!
Thanks so much Patty! I appreciate your encouragement! If you make them, let me know what you think!
Oh, I will!!
These look so good – Yummy!!!!!
Wish I could send you one mom! 🙂
Hi, Lori! That muffin looks so yum and so pretty! You can eat a couple of these and not feel guilty, yeah? Why, just looking at the ingredient list, these muffins qualify as a superfood! Thanks for sharing them at Fiesta Friday. XOXO
Thanks so much Angie! I loved getting to be a part of “Fiesta Friday!” And yes, I can eat a couple of these and definitely not feel guilty! Love it! 🙂
Lovely combination of blueberry and almond!
Thanks so much Sadia! I had them for breakfast this morning….yum!
They look delicious! I love the flavor almond flour gives to GF goodies – and I like that you use the honey instead of sugar. I’ll have to give them a try!
Thanks so much! I agree….I love almond flour! It has such a rich taste that just adds to the yumminess! If you try these, let me know what you think! By the way, I will come over and check out your blog!
Lori, these look so good! I too love blueberry muffins and have been experimenting with blueberry-yogurt muffins, but I think I might have to stop and switch to your recipe for the next batch! The rich blueberry sauce on top looks scrumptious!
Thanks Ngan! Blueberry-yogurt muffins….I bet those are good too! Let me know what you think if you do try it this way. And yes, the blueberry sauce was so great!
These just look awesome!
Thanks Bro…..they are one of my most favorites! Lets just say that I ate them up fast…LOL! 🙂