In case you may not have noticed, I have totally been on a quinoa kick! I love, love, love it!!
So, when I didn’t have anything planned for dinner last night I decided to make it into a main dish and combine it with another new favorite of mine: black beans. It didn’t matter that I had just had some for breakfast. 🙂
We loved it and would definitely make it again and again! 🙂
SPICY BLACK BEANS & QUINOA
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 can black beans
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 1/3-1/4 cup diced red onions
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (Leave this or the Chili powder out if you don’t want too much spiciness. For our own preference, we would leave this out next time.)
- 1 large tomato
- Measure out and rinse the quinoa.
- Put 1 cup of water into a saucepan and boil.
- When the water comes to a boil, add in the quinoa until it begins to boil again.
- Reduce to medium heat, place a lid on the saucepan, and let simmer for about 12 minutes or until it has sucked up all the water.
- When this is finished, take it off of the heat, stir it, cover again, and let sit for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop the tomatoes and set aside in a dish.
- Next, dice up the onion and chop up the cilantro.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- When the quinoa is done cooking and has been sitting for 5 or so minutes (in other words, you have 10 min left for it to sit), squeeze lemon juice from one whole lemon into a large skillet, adding in the black beans, cilantro, onions, chili powder, and cayenne.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the quinoa has finished sitting, add it to the skillet. Mix with the other goodies, adding 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and then serve it on plates, adding the freshly cut tomatoes to the top.