You might be thinking, “More quinoa?!” Absolutely! I am so glad I was introduced to this stuff because I totally love it! I created this recipe last night for dinner and decided to use the red quinoa instead of the white. I loved the way this meal came out, but I do definitely prefer the taste of the white quinoa. The red stuff has a harsher taste to it. It is still good, but not my preference. So, next time I will definitely make this with the white quinoa.
Do any of you have a preference on the white, red, or black quinoa? I would be curious to hear your thoughts.
The sauce was the perfect finishing touch to this meal! And cooking it in it, instead of just pouring it on it at the end, made the chicken super moist!
Chicken & Red Quinoa with a Pomegranate Honey Sauce
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2-1 cup pure pomegranate juice
- 1/2- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup red onions
- Cherry tomatoes
- Black pepper
- Put 1 cup of water into a saucepan and boil.
- When the water comes to a boil, add in the quinoa until it begins to boil again.
- Reduce to medium heat, place a lid on the saucepan, and let simmer for about 12 minutes or until it has sucked up all the water. (You may want to check on it a few times. If all the water soaks up too soon the quinoa will become really crunchy.).
- When this is finished, take it off of the heat, stir it, cover again, and let sit for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, cut your small tomatoes in halves and set them aside. Dice up the onion.
- Combine the honey and pomegranate juice and pour into a skillet. Add the chicken breasts and onions and cook on medium heat.
- Sprinkle pepper over the chicken.
- Flip your chicken occasionally, until they are cooked completely.
- When both the quinoa and chicken are ready, place some quinoa on a plate, putting a piece of chicken on top of it. Cover the chicken with the onions and some of the leftover sauce.
- Add the tomatoes to the plate.