I love salads that are full of taste! I used to hate vegetables. I’d go to someone’s house and take the meat and potatoes and pass on the salad, peas, green beans, etc. A “meat & potatoes” girl…that is how I have always described myself. But now? Ah, give me a good salad! 🙂
This one has so many of my new favorite things in it, and it was the first time I used quinoa in a salad. Would I do it again? Yes, yes, yes! So good! I am finding that putting quinoa and black beans in my salads, egg dishes, etc., really makes them so much more filling and delicious!
I used one of my new favorite combinations as a dressing for this salad: honey, chile powder, and red wine vinegar.
Black Bean, Kale, & Quinoa Salad with a Spicy Honey & Red Wine Vinegar Dressing
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cups water
- 1 can black beans
- Red onions
- Chili powder
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Put 1 cup of water into a saucepan and boil.
- When the water comes to a boil, add in the quinoa until it begins to boil again.
- Reduce to medium heat, place a lid on the saucepan, and let simmer for about 12 minutes or until it has sucked up all the water. (You may want to check on it a few times. If all the water soaks up too soon the quinoa will become really crunchy.).
- When this is finished, take it off of the heat, stir it, cover again, and let sit for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, cut up the onions. Pour the olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions, sauteing them. After a few minutes, add in the black beans and some chili powder and let cook, stirring occasionally.
- Wash the kale and tear it into small pieces. Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half. Put some in two different bowls.
- When quinoa is done, split it between the two bowls. Add in the bean/onion mixture.
- Scoop out half of an avocado for each salad.
- Combine the honey, red wine vinegar, and chili powder to make the dressing. I used more honey than I did red wine vinegar, but you might want to experiment and see what you like.