It makes me so happy when I create something that my hubby absolutely loves! And this was one of those recipes.
I really don’t know why I chose what I did to put in this breakfast dish, but it worked out….really well! Yay! I love making my hubby a really good and creative breakfast to start his day! 🙂
Creamy Tomato, Eggs, Basil, & Sausage Skillet
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp red cooking wine
- Crushed red pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 heaping tbsp refrigerated, thick coconut milk
- 1 sausage chopped up (I used a sun dried tomato and provolone chicken sausage)
- A handful of mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 flour tortillas toasted and torn into pieces (Substitute with gluten free tortillas for my gluten free friends.)
- Fresh basil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- Use a garlic press to mince the garlic.
- Dice the onion.
- Chop the sausage into small pieces.
- Chop up the fresh basil.
- Pour the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the garlic and onions. I let this cook for about 5 minutes I think…and then added in the sausage until it was heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, put the can of tomatoes, honey, cooking wine, coconut milk, cheese, and some crushed pepper and begin heating over medium heat.
- When the sausage/garlic/onions are ready, pour them into the other saucepan where you have been heating up the red sauce. Let cook together for 5-10 minutes.
- Then pour all of it back into the large skillet.
- Add in the eggs, making sure not to break the yokes.
- Cook the eggs until the whites are white and not opaque. (Depending on how done you want your eggs will effect what you do next. If you want your yoke runny, you will want to make sure to move onto the next step while the yoke is still runny. If not, cook longer.)
- Sprinkle the feta cheese throughout the skillet.
- Turn your oven onto Broil. Unless your pan can tolerate the high heat, leave the door open and your handle out as you broil the dish for about 2 minutes. Like I have mentioned before, make sure you use a skillet that is safe to do this with, and be careful that the handle doesn’t get too hot. You may need to grab it with a pot holder, even though it has been outside the oven.
- Toast the tortillas and break them into small pieces.
- Serve on a plate & sprinkle eggs and sauce with tortilla pieces.