We have all heard of green smoothies, which I have to admit that I have been chicken to try! 🙂 But, what about green fruit roll-ups?!
There were some blueberries in the fridge that needed to be eaten up, so my original plan was just to make plain blueberry ones. But, no! My experimental and creative side couldn’t leave it at that! 🙂 And I just happened to recall how we always keep kale on hand…. 😉
The taste was amazing! Truly! What a wonderful way to get more vegetables in your diet! Seriously parents, your children would never know there were any vegetables in these roll-ups!
Okay friends, I am definitely ready for some green smoothies now! 😀
Unfortunately, I didn’t do as good of a job making sure I spread the puree out as evenly and thinly as I did on my strawberry lemonade and basil ones, so the consistency on a lot of them didn’t come out as I would have liked. It was one of those learning experiences….you need to make sure it is even and thin or else they won’t dry out enough.
Green Blueberry Fruit Roll-Ups
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
- 18 ounces of blueberries
- 3 hand sized pieces of kale
- 1/4-1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (I decided to try these at a higher temperature than I cooked my other ones.)
- Wash and puree the blueberries, adding in the kale, honey and almond extract.
- Cover a baking sheet with some parchment paper.
- Pour the pureed fruit mixture out onto the paper as evenly as you can. You also want to make sure it is pretty thin.
- Let bake for 6 hours (start checking at the 5 hour mark.)
- Take out of the oven and let cool. Once cooled you can use kitchen shears to cut them into the size and length you want.
- Roll them up and put some ribbon around them.
- When you are ready to eat them they should easily peel off the parchment paper.
I hope some of you will try to make “green roll-ups!” Really, really, really delicious!