I LOVE french toast! There is something about the smell of it cooking on a Saturday morning…still in your pj’s, coming down the stairs with your slippers on, a cozy blanket welcoming you as you wait for this delicious treat. For some reason it makes me smile. It brings out the kid in me. It makes me think of family.
I thought it would be fun the other day to add a little twist to our normal recipe…some fresh lemon, along with some homemade syrup. The combination of lemon and strawberry…wonderful!
This french toast was delicious! And I will honestly say that even without the lemon, I love this recipe more than any other I have ever had.
So to my Fiesta Friday family…stay in your pj’s, curl up with a fleece blanket, smell the aroma of the french toast cooking, and enjoy a big plate!
Lemon Sour Dough French Toast with Homemade Strawberry Syrup
*Created by Lori at creatingbeautyinthekitchen.wordpress.com
Ingredients for French Toast:
- 6-8 pieces Sour Dough Bread (This is a low-glycemic bread. Use a gluten free bread if needed)
- 4 Eggs
- Almond Milk
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Lemon for Fresh Lemon Juice
Ingredients for Syrup:
- Combine the strawberries with the amount of honey you want in a food processor to make the syrup.
- Combine eggs, almond milk, honey, vanilla, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl.
- Grease a frying pan.
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture, covering both sides.
- Cook on each side until slightly browned.
- Serve on plates, adding butter if desired, along with the syrup.
A BIG thank you, as always, to Angie at The Novice Gardener and her co-hosts this week!