After church yesterday we went over to our friend’s house to continue celebrating Easter. It was my job to bring dessert, and I wanted to be super creative and come up with something fun looking for the kids, but knowing I was already feeling stressed, my loving hubby encouraged me to just stick with something easy.
So, that’s what I did! 🙂 I started by using agave for the brownies since it is even lower on the glycemic index, but I decided I didn’t prefer it, so I ended up using honey instead. Next time, I wouldn’t use any agave at all, and I could probably get away without adding much more honey.
I was SO happy with how the buttercream frosting came out! I have tried making a low-glycemic version before, and the consistency has never been quite right. The taste and texture of this was perfect! Loved it!
Chocolate Brownies with Buttercream Frosting
*Created by Lori at Creating Beauty in the Kitchen
(Buttercream Frosting adapted from Sensitive Economist)
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 cup honey
- 2/3 cup agave
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients, except the egg. When it is thoroughly mixed, add the egg and continue to mix.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients. When mixed, add in the wet ones, stirring well.
- Use a bit of coconut oil or butter to grease a pizza pan (I used a 14″ deep dish one ) or a large baking dish, and then spread the dough evenly…all the way to the edges. Make it all as flat as possible so that it will cook evenly.
- Now it is ready to go in the oven. Cook for about 25 minutes. (I cooked longer and they came out harder than I liked.)
- When it is cooked, take out and let cool.
- With a hand held mixer or standing mixer, combine all the ingredients. Blend until mixed well and the consistency is right.
- After the brownie pizza/cake has cooled then frost it.
- Grate a piece of dark chocolate to add shavings to the top of your brownies.